Monday, May 10, 2010

2010 Ski Season: Day 25-Alpine Meadows

Location: Alpine Meadows
Date: 5/9/2010
Conditions: Spring

Rough Morning

Break out the balloon, I made my target of 25 days. We were 2 of about 240 people on the mountain Sunday. I have to say, getting up to the top of Alpine Bowl at 9:15 for the above shot made my day.

The next special thing happened 3/4 the way down the first run. As I came down the middle of the slope alone, I spotted a critter scampering across the snow. I skied over to his hideout, a well for the snowmaking equipment long-since turned off, and saw him up close. It was a groundhog. I sat 5 feet downhill from him and he stared at me. After a while, the woodchuck gave up his hiding spot and scurried across the rest of the run and safely into the trees. I don't think another soul saw him.

The day was much colder than I would have anticipated. The sun only lasted for the first couple of runs before the sky turned gray. By the last run of the day, wouldn't you know it, it started to snow!

That's it for this season, tune in next year folks.

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: