Thursday, February 19, 2009

2009 Ski Season: Day 13


Gut Check
Originally uploaded by dmourati
Location: Kirkwood
Conditions: Variable, windbuff, skier tracked, powder, heavy powder, chowder

Today was an awesome day at Kirkwood. I know yesterday will go down in the history books as one of the great all time days at Kirkwood. I was able to make one day after the real pow-fest and i was not sure how things would turn out.

The morning started out on Cornice and a quick hit into the Sentinel Bowl. I didn't quite have my legs ready and it was hard work slogging through all that chopped up snow but still fun.

I made my way to the backside and discovered that 15 was running. It was my first crack at the new surface lift off 4 and it opened up some incredible terrain. Fawn Ridge was definitely the place to ski today. I figured the pow-hounds wouldn't bother going to all the trouble of getting up there yesterday when the front side of the mountain had so much to offer. There was a ton of snow, especially down in the trees below the ridge. Big props to the Cat crew for grinding out some cord in needed places!

I also took the opportunity today to check out Thunder Saddle, see pic. Again, there was a ton of snow and not too much traffic. A quick run out led me back down to 2 for laps to the backside. Great way to spend the morning.

I hit a few more runs off Cornice as well as the Wall in the afternoon. I will say that there was powder to be had, in one way or another, on each of my 20+ runs for the day. It was certainly fun exploring Kirkwood on a slow day and getting great snow to boot.

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: