Friday, January 22, 2010

2010 Ski Season: Day 8-Alpine

Location: Alpine Meadows
Date: 1/22/2010
Conditions: Pow pow

Special live blog brought to you from the Bus somewhere near Danville, CA.

With the biggest storm of the season rolling and trips planned p to Kirkwood and Sierra-at-Tahoe already on deck I had the last minute opprutunity to ski the pow pow at Alpine. Of course, I jumped.

We arrived at Alpine after a hectic ride involving snow chains, traffic, and ski videos.

The view was worth it:

Truckee on a Powder Day

I literally bolted out of the bus with my boots under my arm and my balaclava and helmet on my head. I was greeted by the BASB coordinator (Hi Tammy). I took Subway up and went directly to Hot Wheels for some early pow.

I headed over to Scott chair and poached the Promised Land. Face shots!

I hit the front bowls, I hit the back bowls, I wiped out, ALOT. The fabled double eject yardsale was a common occurrence. Early that morning I wondered why all the loc's were rocking streamers behind their skis. After 4 times trying to dig out my Mantras from the fluff I started to piece it together.

Another first for today? GPS tracking of all my runs. Top speed?

36.9 mi/h

Max Grade: 45 %



Vert?

17961 ft

Full details

The snow was DEEP. You think you've got what it takes to ski 48" of fresh? See me tomorrow at Kirkwood.

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: