Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Indoor Soccer Starts Again

Tonight I play my first indoor soccer game in over 5 years. I found a league at Off the Wall Soccer in Santa Clara, CA that plays Wednesday nights. My team is Balco United. I hope there is no steroid requirement before taking the field.

When I was a kid in high school, I used to play indoor at the Odeum, then run by a Greek named Tony Dallas. I would go around school during the day and recruit players at $5 each to join in to rent the field. We would show up there, 8 or 10 of us and pool our money together to pay for the field rental. I think it ran about $60 an hour. Somehow, we always wound up short but Tony would let us play anyway. I think it was in no small part because both he and my dad (and me) were Greek. Either that or he figured there was noone else there vying for time on the field. Still, we would play for two hours or more every week. It was a great time.

I'm looking forward to getting back into playing. I took a few days to get sorted out last week and played one 3v3 pickup game and then just kicked around with Jodi to get some semblance of touch back. Mostly, I'm concerned about fitness. The field is huge and it's 6v6. We may have only one or two subs which will make for a long time out on the field.

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: