Saturday, June 02, 2007

40 Miles to Freedom



Today I completed a 40 mile journey on my bike. I started out in Mountain View and took the Steven's Creek Trail. I went all the way to the Palo Alto Airport, and past it to a sailing launch spot just past the duck ponds. Then, I got this strange sense that I had a lot left in the tanks. Last night, I had been reviewing some pretty serious rides on the web. These involve climbing up into the foothills West of Mountain View and Palo Alto. Since I was feeling great at the boat launch after about 9 miles, I decided to push it.

I headed down Embarcadero through Palo Alto and over to Stanford's Campus. Then, I took a left on Sand Hill road and started climbing. If you check out this map, I did basically the reverse.



Here's another link that shows part of the route I took:

http://www.paloaltobicycles.com/loopmap/loop.html

After a lot of climbing I got a bit lost off of Manzanita. I wound up on 84 and realized if I didn't turn around I might be headed for a 100+ mile ride. Luckily, there were pleanty of cyclists riding with me so I just followed them.

After the loop I took Foot Expressway back to Los Altos. Then, I took Miramonte back to downtown Mountain View and Castro Street home. As I pulled into my apartment complex, I gazed down at my bikes odometer which read 40.00 miles. Thinking back to a great Sublime Album, 40 oz to Freedom, I had the name of this post.

I just entered in the entire route on bikely. Here it is:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/42792

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: